Unemployment Benefit Information for Federal Employees Who are Back at Work

Q. I am a federal worker who was furloughed under the federal shutdown. I have since returned to work and learned that I would be paid for the time I was off. Do I need to report this for unemployment?

A. Yes, this is considered back pay and reportable for unemployment for the week covered by the payment.  Please contact us at 332-8942 to have this corrected.

 Q. Will this result in an overpayment?

A. It could. If you are a federal employee who claimed benefits during the federal shutdown, you will be sent a letter advising you to call us at (208) 332-8942 to report your income during the period of time you were claiming benefits. If an overpayment results, you will be sent another letter with specific overpayment and repayment information.  You may send the repayment to:

Idaho Department of Labor
Attn: Compliance
317 Main St
Boise ID  83735-0730

 Q. Can I make a payment over the phone?

A. Yes, we accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express. Access Idaho charges a 3% handling fee if you pay with a credit card or a flat rate of $2.50 for E-checks. Please call 1-80­0-672-5627 or (20­8) 332-3573

Q. I want to cancel my claim since I returned back to work.  What do I need to do?

A. You may not need to withdraw your claim. If you simply stop filing your weekly report, the claim will go inactive on its own after two weeks of non reporting.  If you would, however, like your claim removed from our system, you must submit a letter asking us to withdraw the claim. It must be signed with a handwritten signature (an email signature is not acceptable). You would be responsible for repaying any benefits received on the claim.

Q. Is there any reason I need to keep my address current in your system?

A. Yes. We will mail important overpayment and year-end tax information.

Read the earlier blog post on furloughed federal workers and unemployment benefits here.