Why Did I Receive a 1099G Tax Form?

The article was updated with new information on Dec. 14, 2020.

Why did I receive a 1099G tax form from the Department of Labor? Are unemployment insurance benefits taxable?

If you collect or repay unemployment insurance benefits during any taxable year, you should receive a 1099-G IRS form that shows the total taxable unemployment compensation issued to you from the State of Idaho for a calendar year.

Unemployment insurance benefits are taxable. Payment information is reported to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and you are required to file a tax return for payments received or repaid.

Sample 1099G form

I collected or repaid unemployment insurance benefits and have not received my 1099G tax form yet. Where is it?

The department mails 1099-G forms at the end of January to the address you have listed on your unemployment insurance contact information. The post office may return a Form 1099-G as undeliverable if you move and do not update your address. It is your responsibility to make sure the Idaho Department of Labor has the most recent and correct address. If your address has changed, log into the Claimant Portal and update it by selecting “Edit Profile” on your homepage, even if you are no longer filing. IMPORTANT: YOUR 1099-G WILL INCLUDE YOUR ENTIRE SOCIAL SECUIRTY NUMBER, AS REQUIRED BY THE INTERNAL REVENUE SERVICE. FAILURE TO UPDATE YOUR MAILING ADDRESS COULD RESULT IN YOUR 1099-G GOING TO THE WRONG ADDRESS AND PUT YOUR IDENTITY AT RISK.

How do I request a 1099G if I never received one?

You can access your 1099-G online from the Claimant Portal. Log in and select the “1099G-Reporting” details option on the HISTORY tab.

Can I change my tax withholdings on my unemployment insurance payments?

Yes. You may choose to have 10 percent withheld for federal taxes. We are unable to withhold state taxes. To change your tax withholdings, select “Change Tax Withholding” under the ACCOUNT tab once you have logged in to the Claimant Portal.

What if I disagree with the amount listed on my 1099-G?

Keep in mind that benefits are reported based on the issue date of the payment, not the week ending date(s) that was paid. Before contacting us, verify your payments on Claimant Portal under the MANAGE CLAIMS tab. If you still disagree with your 1099-G after reviewing your payment summary, please call us at (208) 332-8942.

What if I re-paid an overpayment?

A 1099-G was mailed to you and will include any repayments received during the taxable year, excluding penalties and interest. Penalties and interest are not included because they were not PAID benefits.

How do I request a Form 1099-G for prior years?

You can view 2018 and 2019 1099-Gs information on the Claimant Portal. Please call us at 208-332-8942 for 1099G information prior to 2018.

What if I did not receive a W-2 from my employer? Can you give me that information? 

We are not allowed to provide employer tax identification numbers. Please contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 for help obtaining your W-2. 

What if I have already filed my taxes by the time I received my 1099-G form?

We are not authorized to instruct you on how unemployment insurance affects your taxes. Please contact the Idaho State Tax Commission at (208) 334-7660, (800) 972-7660 or the Internal Revenue Service at (800) 829-1040

What if I have other questions about my taxes?

We are not authorized to instruct you on how unemployment insurance affects your taxes. Please contact the Idaho State Tax Commission at (208) 334-7660, (800) 972-7660 or the Internal Revenue Service at (800) 829-1040

I thought I paid into unemployment through taxes already. Why am I being taxed again?

The unemployment insurance benefits program is funded by the employer through quarterly payroll taxes. Your benefits are considered income and therefore are taxable.

Are benefits provided by the CAREs act taxable as income?

Yes. Bonuses, grants, and jobless benefits are treated as taxable income by the IRS, and Idaho. Please visit the Idaho Tax Commission website for more information.

I have an outstanding overpayment with the department for unemployment insurance benefits that were overpaid. Will they seize my refund?

Yes. If you have an overpayment balance, your state and federal tax refunds will be subject to seizure and will be applied to your overpayment. Please contact our collections bureau at (208) 332-3573 if you have a current overpayment.