Do you have any job openings at your business? Do you have a plan in place to make sure your interview and application process follows legal guidelines?
Here are some questions and answers taken from the guide to lawful applications and interviews created by the Idaho Department of Labor and Idaho Human Rights Commission. Please download a pdf of the full guide for additional information.
How can I know whether my interview questions are discriminatory?
Understanding what discrimination is should help a great deal. Additionally, answering the following questions should help employers avoid most discriminatory inquiries during the pre-employment interview. 1) Do my questions tend to have the effect of screening out persons in protected groups? 2) Is the information I requested really necessary to judge the individual competence for the performance of this particular job?
The Idaho Department of Labor’s list of the hottest jobs in terms of highest
demand, best pay and largest number for the coming decade offers workers
some insight into where the best career opportunities lie and the kind of
education or training required.
The top 20 Hot Jobs in Idaho from 2010 through 2020 are:
- Registered nurse
- Medical and health service manager
- Physical therapist
- Dental hygienist
- Software applications developer
- Management analyst
- Physician and surgeon in areas other than specific specialties
- Network and computer systems administrator
- Market research analyst and marketing specialist
- Radiologic technologist and technician
- Family and general practitioner
- Physician assistant
- Licensed practical and licensed vocational nurse
- Mechanical engineer
- Electrical engineer
- Computer system analyst
- Industrial machinery mechanic
- Loan officer
- Elementary school teacher other than in special education